Out West 2015

Memphis, Tennessee

Friday, May 22, 2015

I’m not sure what time my family and I woke up because all of my tec was in its bag in the van. Before leaving, we had to get dressed, clean, and pack a few more items. By the time I did hear the time, it was around 9:30 AM. My family and I left our home in Greenville, South Carolina about an hour later, beginning day one of our two month trip out west.

It took us 11 hours to drive through Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi before we finally arrived at a Hilton in Memphis, Tennessee around 9:30 PM. Of course, a good chunk of this time was added on because of potty stops and I found it intriguing that every restaurant we stopped at was filled with African Americans. Being the minority was a new experience for me.

It’s hard to describe how relaxed we felt when we crawled into bed after sitting in the car all day. Our room, 1514, was rather small. It had one bed, one bathroom, one sink, and a few pieces of furniture/appliances. The bed had enough room for three people, so I shared it with Mom and Dad. We requested a roll-away bed for Haydn and Ansa. It was in this room that I began to fill Markings (Mar, for short), a journal that came to hold a complete account of my family’s travels.

Saturday, May 23, 2015

My family and I woke up around 8:00 AM and spent about two hours getting dressed, packing, and making sure we had all of our belongings.

When we finally climbed back into our van, we made our way to Downtown Memphis. It took us about half an hour to find a parking spot that would cost us less than $20.00, but we still managed to be walking into The Peabody Hotel at 10:40 AM.

The Peabody hotel is famous for their ducks. Now, I’m not referring to a tasty meal on their gourmet menu, but actual real life ducks. Every three months The Peabody brings around five new ducks to the hotel. They are then introduced to the life of luxury and trained by their personal Duck Master. The Duck Master trains the ducks to walk in and out of the elevator, down the red carpet, and into the fountain in the center of the lobby at exactly 11:00 AM. They then swim in the fountain until they waddle back to their luxurious home, on the roof of The Peabody, at exactly 5:00 PM.

My family and were not prepared for the millions of people, from all over the world, that crowed the lobby to see the ducks. I spent the next 20 minutes in a panic, trying to find a good spot so that I could film the famous Peabody ducks. Dad and I went upstairs and I found a spot that would have to do. It was then that I spotted Mom, Haydn, and Ansa who had found a spot right next to the red carpet. I told Dad then checked the clock: 10:59 AM. I made a mad dash for the stairs. Halfway down the announcer came onto the intercom and declared something like, “Ladies and gentlemen, the famous Peabody ducks will now make their way to the fountain.” I jumped over the remaining stairs, ran into the lobby, pushed through the crowd, and sat down next to Haydn and Ansa just as the elevator doors were opening. After taking some pictures, we went up to the roof of the Peabody.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Next, we walked around downtown and then drove to the Bass Pro Shop.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

We looked around there for a while and then began the long drive to Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

The Mississippi River

One thought on “Memphis, Tennessee

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s